Leadership Students Share the Keys to Being Successful When Taking College Courses

Leadership students have an extensive history of college readiness and preparedness! From Touro College classes to Syracuse University Summer Program, students have never shied away from taking that extra step toward success. Lead News took the initiative to gather college advice for Leadership students. To do so, we asked students from Syracuse University and the MCNY Associates Program for advice.

1. Have a Study Buddy!

It’s always good to have a friend during hard times; college is no exception. Senior Fernando Hernandez revealed his experience at Syracuse University. “I found a good friend and together we were able to limit our free time and work,” Hernandez said. “When overwhelmed with work we would bounce off each other, encourage one another, and help each other out. I would also speak out if I had any concerns or troubles, whether it was with work or myself.”

2.  Prioritize Work Time and Space!

We talked to two students who participated in the Syracuse University Pre-College Program and here’s what they had to say about setting aside work-specific time and space.

Denisse Merino: “A way I was able to keep up with Syracuse’s work was by always trying to finish my assignments first before I do anything else. That way, I would have more time for myself and be able to relax.”

Alyssa Clarke: “Being at Syracuse itself was a huge motivation. Being in that type of environment made it easier to focus because I knew it wasn’t something to play with.”

3. Read the Syllabus!

Most professors provide a syllabus at the beginning of class; reading it is essential to success. Lisbeth Victoriano said, “It helped to keep me organized and on task”.

4. Communicate with your Professor!

Remember, your professors are human with their own lives and struggles. They understand when you have an outstanding situation that may hinder your ability to complete work or come to class. Junior Rahma Avubakarr said, “I’ll just talk to my professor,” when referring to times when she is struggling to balance work.

5. Most importantly: Believe in Yourself

Though college courses are difficult, they are not impossible. Remember to remind yourself of your capabilities and the advantages of taking these classes. MCNY Associates Program participant David Forest said, “Don’t doubt yourself and always remind yourself this is very beneficial.”

Mrs. Ibanez and her family visit Syracuse University Pre-College students on campus. (G. Ibanez)